CU Webinars: Sixty (60) Critical Steps For Handling Delinquent & Abandoned Safe Deposit Boxes 2018 Update
Wednesday, January 17th, 2018
- Why were fifteen financial institutions sued recently after drilling past due boxes?
- How does the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) apply to delinquent boxes?
- What would happen if all your unclaimed property was destroyed or disappeared?
- When are drilled box contents reported to your Unclaimed Property Department?
- Do you have any “Right of Offset” against a past due renter’s deposit account?
- What seven past due fees should be collected from all delinquent box renters?
- What does the Unclaimed Property Department do with these box contents?
- Have there been any lawsuits caused by incorrect box drilling procedures?
- If cash is found in a drilled box can it be converted and mailed in a check?
- How do you handle dangerous or illegal contents found in a drilled box?
- Can you sell these box contents and recover your collection expenses?
- Who must be present when a past due box is drilled in most states?
- Can you report a past due box renter to a credit-reporting agency?
- What careful wording should be used in a FINAL past due notice?
- What should we do if money, guns or drugs are found in a box?
- What is the required retention period for drilled box records?
- Can you legally restrict box access to a delinquent renter?
- Must these boxes be drilled before reporting to the state?
- What should you do if you drill the wrong past due box?
Who Should Attend?
This informative program is designed to update security and compliance officers, vault supervisors and attendants, branch managers, auditors, training directors, new account personnel and your in-house legal counsel.
Speaker: David P. McGuinn, President of Safe Deposit Specialists, is a former banker with 45 years of safe deposit experience and is often referred to nationwide as the safe deposit GURU. In all 50 states he has trained over 250,000 safe deposit personnel since 1969, and has served the industry as President of AIB and the American, Texas and Houston Safe Deposit Associations. Dave is a featured speaker for the American Bankers Association’s TV network and has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Banking-New York, Washington Post, Money Magazine, New York Magazine, Associated Press, AARP, National Public Radio, FDIC, CUNA, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC Nightly News and Court TV on current safe deposit issues. McGuinn has created numerous training programs and his Safe Deposit Policy and Procedures Handbook, Regulatory/Compliance manual, products, brochures and training seminars are now the accepted standard for the financial industry.