Excel 101: Introduction to Spreadsheets
Friday, December 7, 2018
10:00 am – 12:00 pm CT
Recommended for 2.5 CE Credits
If you’ve never worked with Excel spreadsheets or haven’t in several years, this webcast is designed just for you. Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, walks you through the basics of Excel spreadsheets, providing the knowledge needed to create functional spreadsheets and manipulate large lists of data. David presents an overview of the different types of files you can create, explains Excel’s rows and columns grid, demonstrates how to remove duplicates from a list, shares keyboard shortcuts to simplify repetitive tasks, and more.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in Excel 2016. He draws to your attention any differences in Excel 2013, 2010, or 2007 during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
- Gaining control of long lists of data by filtering instead of sorting.
- Getting a jump start on spreadsheet projects by using free, prebuilt templates in Excel.
- Mastering Excel’s order of operations for mathematical formulas.
- Minimizing effort in Excel by only selecting cells when necessary.
- Separating first/last names into two columns without using formulas or retyping.
- Getting an overview of the different types of files you can create in Excel.
- Using Text to Columns in any version of Excel to quickly separate city, state, and ZIP code into separate columns.
- Managing cumbersome lists of data using the Table feature.
- Learning how the Table feature allows you to transform filtering tasks.
- Getting oriented with Excel’s grid of rows and columns.
- Identifying duplicates in a list using Conditional Formatting.
- Bringing Excel’s green error-checking prompts under control by managing the underlying rules.
Who Should Attend:
Practitioners who wish to learn the basics of working with Excel spreadsheets.
David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David’s mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you,” so he focuses on what he sees users don’t, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively. To learn more about David, you can view his LinkedIn profile and follow him on Facebook or Twitter (@excelwriter).